Facebook recently upgraded Business Fan Pages which now provide admins with several new features. As an admin, you can:
Receive fan page email notifications:
- Receive an email when a fan posts on your fan page wall. This was a much requested feature and a long time coming!
- This feature can be turned off per admin (go to Your Settings). You may want to do this if your company’s business fan page has multiple admins and all of them do Not need to get the email notifications.
Comment as your fan page:
- If you are like many people, you’ve probably wanted to leave a comment on other fan pages and have it display your business fan page name vs. your name as an individual. You can now do this! (Click “Use Facebook as Page” under your Account Menu.)
This screen shot from Facebook, mentions the above plus a couple of other features:
Change your fan page category:
- Take a look at the new categories & sub-categories and adjust your fan page category if desired. (Edit your Basic Information to do this.)
Change fan page name:
- Facebook slipped this feature in a while ago. If your fan page has less than 100 fans, you can change the name of your fan page. (This does not affect your fan page vanity url if you have one.)
- A client of mine had 106 fans but wanted to change his fan page name to incorporate a new part of his business. We deleted a few fans until he was down to 99. Then we changed his fan page name. After the name change, he sent the people he deleted a personal message explaining what we did and he asked them to “like” his fan page again. (Of course they did because we only deleted family members or very close friends!)
Benefits of new vertical fan page navigation:
- If you haven’t already upgraded your fan page, it will be automatically upgraded by Facebook in early March. Once upgraded, your fan page navigation will be in the left column instead of across the top of your fan page. In general, I don’t like the new layout however I did discover a couple of benefits…
- Benefit #1: The vertical navigation menu, in the left column, allows you to display “6″ page links in addition to default links for Wall & Info. (Horizontal navigation only allowed “4″ extra links to display at any one time.)
- Benefit #2: Vertical navigation links can include more characters than horizontal navigation.
If you have any questions, please post them below. Also, if you’ve upgraded your fan page, what’s your opinion of the recent changes? Do you like them? Will they help you as an admin?
Your Facebook Informant,
Additional posts you may be interested in reading: